Re: Bug in HTML 4.01 Test: JavaScript is checked?

Hello Daniel.

On 17-Feb-09, at 6:07 PM, Daniel Marschall wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam.
>
> I think I have found a bug in the validator check tool.
>
> I made a Anti-Spam-Mechanism which outputs following html code:
> [snip]
> Note: This is a JavaScript, it should be ignored by the validator!
> It has no line breaks to make it a bit more complex.

That is a common misunderstanding. If the js script is within HTML,
then it has to abide by the rules of HTML...
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#script

Solutions:
* use an external js file
* be wary of using document.write(), especially in XHTML

Hope this helps,
--
olivier