Re: Link Error

On Feb 14, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Joe Hreha wrote:
> I used you validator to correct all the errors on my site.  Thank
> you for a great service.  I am a novice and I was so proud of our
> accomplishment, I proudly display your logo on my site:  www.captainjoesguideservice.com
>
> However, my webhost GoDaddy.com reports via Traffic Blazer that your
> link on my site causes an external link error.  How can we fix
> this.  It my hurt my chances on getting indexed in various search
> engines.

The simplest solution for your one-page use of the valid icon is to
switch to an explicit URI, rather than the referrer:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.captainjoesguideservice.com%2F

The referrer form of the link (http://validator.w3.org/check?
uri=referer) relies on the user's web browser passing the URL of the
referring page for validation.

Robots like link-checkers and search engines don't send referrer
information when they follow a link, so that is why Traffic-Blazer is
reporting an external link error. Another option is to configure
you're link-checking software to ignore validator links.

Cheers - Chuck