Re: HTML5 validator - charset.

On Feb 10, 2009, at 23:25, Thorkil Konnerup wrote:

> I have tried to use the HTML5 validator.
>
> In my pages I use the charset tag:
>
> and know that I am using specifik danish 8859-1 characters in my
> pages.

Have you checked your HTTP headers, too? (It's generally a good idea
to post the relevant URI when posting to this list.)

> The validator returns the error text:
> "Internal encoding declaration iso-8859-1 disagrees with the actual
> encoding of the document (utf-8).."

This means that your file either had the UTF-8 BOM or was declared as
UTF-8 on the HTTP layer.

> In my opinion the validator should check if the charset-metatag i
> syntactically correct and when so validate the page on this basis
> without making its own decisions or questioning my choise of charset.

It isn't questioning your choice of charset. It is pointing out a
potential problem to you to save your debugging time: Your <meta>
charset is not actually used, but there's a more authoritative UTF-8
declaration somewhere else.

> In fact I do require to use iso-8859-1 on my pages and expects
> consequently to be told if there are any errors in my pages on this
> basis.

I am questioning your choice, though. I'm curious: Why do you require
a legacy encoding like ISO-8859-1 instead of using UTF-8?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi