RE: Centos 4 install for 0.8.3 validator

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I've managed to get to the end of it in the
meantime, so we have a working markup validator.

I'll try and give you some useful feedback. What happened is that,
rightly or wrongly, I chased dozens upon dozens of dependencies like
never before ("dependency hell", some people call it), that is to say
more binary RPMs, source RPMs, and actual source compilations than I
could mention, or ever  bothered to list. Bringing things in via CPAN
initially never worked so well (especially SGML::Parser::OpenSP or
HTML::Tidy now what you mention it, except maybe AFTER OpenSP was on),
but it was almost certainly compiling OpenSP from source (which is NOT
to be confused with OpenJade, made by the same people, but NOT a
dependency for W3C-Markup-Validator) that resolved the dependency
problems in the end; that, and even maybe a libosp3 RPM, as a dependency
for that or something else I'm no longer sure.

Otherwise, a very useful addition to your install doc would be to
mention exactly where to enter environmental variables such as
http_proxy (in case you are behind a firewall) - which in fact means you
need to hack the actual  "check" perl code yourself, found in
/usr/local/validator/cgi-bin. Although this may be obvious for some, it
may not be for others, and some people may waste time trying to hack
their apache config or who knows what else instead.

I hope that's useful for you. On a related note, I am having some
problems building my .jar file for the css validator, shall I post to
css-validator@w3.org, or to the same list here?

Thanks,

Andrei Doicin
Systems Engineer - Interactive Operations and Playout

Red Bee Media
BCGC1 | Broadcast Centre | 201 Wood Lane | London W12 7TP
Hotline: 0845 300 20 10 | itv.ops@redbeemedia.com