Re: HTML Validator giving false error report on a valid HTML markup

Bamajr wrote:

> When I run your validation tool I get the following error:
>
> It states that on line Line 287, Column 13: end tag for element "P"
> which is not open.
>
>                                     </form></p>

You're trying to use a <form> element inside a <p> element, which is
forbidden according to the Document Type Definition declared in your
document (as well as all other published HTML DTDs). Just remove the <p>
markup. If you need the align="center" attribute (why?), you can replace

> However, I checked this tag several times by hand

I don't what checking there is with either of the tags mentioned. It's
the overall syntax that matters.

> and ran it through
> every WYSIWYG program I could install.

That's completely irrelevant to validation.

> They all return this as a valid

Nonsense. They don't perform validation.

See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html for a
description of what validation is (and what it is not).

Formally, that part is valid, since by HTML specifications up to and
including HTML 4.01, the <form> tag implicitly closes the open <p>
element, as if you had written

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/