Re: [ANN] tool for checking HTML compatibility guidelines in XHTML

Shane McCarron wrote:

> We do plan on updating XHTML 1.0 to a third edition that
> omits appendix C. And its not hearsay if I say it ;-)

Okay, maybe it is only a bad plan... ;-)  I think I could
tell you precisely what a decent HTML 3.2 browser needs
to survive, I used a cute "mozilla 3" until a year ago.

For the <style> element question, putting the content in
<!-- ... --> is not necessary if that element occurs in
the <head>, as it should, because HTML 3.2 browsers knew
that they have to ignore it *there*.  In practice folks
sometimes need to put their inline style in the <body>,
then no comments cause havoc for old browsers, simple
comments cause havoc for XML parsers, and I forgot the
details to get it right, I needed this only once.  Just
an example.

Generally, updating RFC 2396 to 3986, RFC 3066 to 4646,
etc., might be a good plan, no matter what you precisely
do with appendix C.  Maybe you could go as far as support
empty language tags, getting rid of NMTOKEN.  But that
is shaky, as the design goal was apparently to emulate
HTML 4 as good as possible.

 Frank