Re: [VE][65] Form inside table

Amanda Groover wrote:

> Error [65]: "document type does not allow element X here; missing one
> of Y start-tag"

There's a fairly good more detailed explanation attached to that
message.

> I'm trying to convert my so called site to xhtml, and not sure why I'm
> getting this last error.

I'm not sure why you are converting an existing site to xhtml (it's
counter-productive at present, no matter what the W3C says), but the
error is probably caused by the move from Transitional to Strict
doctype. That move is rather pointless too, though _new_ pages should
normally be written as Strict. Anyway, in Strict, both in HTML 4.01 and
in XHTML, a <form> element may contain only block-level elements as its
children. In other words, everything inside it must be wrapped in a
block-level container.

> <form action="uri">
> <select id="rukamenu"
[...]
> </select>
> </form>

Technically, it is easy to fix this so that it validates as Strict, by
adding a <div> wrapper, i.e.

However, a navigational drop down menu, which is apparently
JavaScript-operated, is a _bad_ idea. So the page really needs fixing,
but playing with XHTML is pointless and moving to Strict fairly
pointless, too, unless you redesign the page. Just moving to XHTML for
the sake of moving wastes time with validator error messages, among
other things.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/