Re: HTML 5 validator?

Hi Jens, all

On 29-Jul-08, at 2:24 PM, Jens Meiert wrote:
> are there any plans to add experimental support for HTML 5 in the near
> future, maybe even building on Henri's validator [1], if applicable?

I think it is unlikely to have direct html5 support in the markup
validator any time soon, but it would be good to run an instance of
henri's tool and encourage people playing with html5 to use it.

The obstacle so far to hosting an instance has been the work needed to
run that validator as a servlet under jigsaw (or jetty). Possibly
small work, but I (nor anyone in the team) haven't had any time to
look into it.

One idea would be to use a tool like unicorn to dispatch documents to
different validators, including the existing DTD-based markup
validator, relaxed (with nvdl support for XML compound docs),
validator.nu based on media type and other criteria.

Something like this (rough, incomplete, probably wrong) flow:
http://www.w3.org/2008/03/validators-chart

We have a couple of interns doing some interesting work on unicorn to
allow a flow like this.

--
olivier