Re: validator reject minimal HTML 3.2 document

Frank wrote:

> As explained by Yucca.  Adding a space or empty line
> apparently doesn't help, a single dot to get a "body
> is there" effect does the trick.  If this is not yet
> reported it is a real *bug*, and not limited to 3.2,
> as shown in Yucca's similar 4.01 example.

Actually what I meant is that I think it's an oddity in the SGML standard,
not a bug anywhere. That is, SGML rules imply that start tag omission is
not allowed when an element has empty content, even when omission would
otherwise be permitted (OMITTAG YES has been specified and the element's
declaration has O for start tag).

I even managed to find a statement to that effect, more or less, in the
SGML Handbook, though the SGML standard does not seem to say that...
Anyway, I think the validator is innocent until proven guilty, and the
HTMLHELP validator behaves the same way.

--
Yucca