Re: Slash

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 02:21:37 +0100
Rui del-Negro wrote:

> >> olivier Thereaux wrote:
> >>
> >> Aesthetical considerations aside, is there any practical benefit to
> >> the version with a slash at the end?
> >>

> > Michael Adams <linux_mike@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> >
> > Some programs (apache?) append it by default. Type
> > www.validator.w3.org
> > into a browser and the slash appears. Copy and paste then copies the
> > slash.
>
> "www.validator.w3.org" is a server name. When you request something
> from  the server you request a resource. In other words, it makes
> perfect sense  for the browser to add the slash. If you type
> "www.validator.w3.org/something", however, no slash will be added,
> because  "/something" is considered to be the resource you're
> requesting.
>
> If the resource is a folder, the server might redirect you to
> "/something/", to make it clear that it's listing the contents of a
> folder. If the resource is not a folder, no slash will be added.
>
> Since "http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" does not refer to a
> folder  (it's just a construct that tells the validator to check the
> page listed  in the HTTP referer field), the server won't add the
> slash, and in fact  the slash makes very little sense. Personally I
> find  "http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer" a lot more logical.

Your position is probably accurate and i just found out if i validate
any server home page the slash is appended on the results page.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.nz&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=1

So i'm obviously out of my depth. I stand corrected and sit deflated.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416