Re: validator.w3.org and XHTML

On 8-Dec-08, at 7:17 AM, David Dorward wrote:
> There is an experimental Appendix C checker in play at http://qa-dev.w3.org/appc/
>  - I don't know what stage of development it is at, but I believe
> the idea is to have it as part of a general test suite (unicorn)
> which incorporates various QA tests (including the validator).

The code was pretty much ready to release, and would be on
validator.w3.org by now, but I received a pretty clear request from
Shane, echoing the opinion of the XHTML WG, that:
* the guidelines were out of date (and to be updated)
* the guidelines had problems (some mutually exclusive)
* a tool was not desireable, at least not at that point

For reference:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2008Jun/0045.html
(original announcement of the tool - ready to roll)

Shane, given that
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xhtml-media-types-20081126/
has now been published as a NOTE, would it be more acceptable to the
WG to provide a tool building upon
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xhtml-media-types-20081126/#compatGuidelines
?

--