Re: please add Accept header to http request containing application/xhtml+xml

On 21 Apr 2008, at 17:17, Alexandre Alapetite wrote:
> Etienne Miret wrote:
>> However, in the real-world some UA won't send a correct accept
>> header,
>> and those UA are typically unable to handle XHTML, so you *need*
>> hacks.
>> There is no way around it. You need some dirty hack if you want to
>> support IE.
>
> Internet Explorer (4, 5, 6, 7, 8) does send an Accept header, and it
> is not empty.

Yes, it claims it accepts a number of things and ends with */*, which
is a claim (with q=1) that it accepts everything, including
application/xhtml+xml.

> But the whole concept of doing pseudo content negotiation with 4 lines
> of poor PHP, or with a rewrite rule hack in a .htaccess is just not
> good enough. In PHP, it is possible to implement a full standard
> content negotiation mechanism, but it is not possible using a simple
> rewrite rule in a .htaccess.

+1

I know someone who wrote a decent implementation. They've said they'll
try to get the source published this evening, so I'll pass that along
in case anyone is interested.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/