Re: Content-Negotiation in check referer requests

Bonjour Etienne,

Thanks a lot for your ideas, and patches too! Your work is much
appreciated. As I said in my other mail today, sorry for not having
replied earlier, I'd actually looked at the patches but I believe a flu
and computer woes made me lose my focus on those. I guess it shows that
it is safer to submit patches to the bugzilla in addition or instead of
the list only - they don't get drowned in discussion and get addressed
or at least looked at sooner or later.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008, Etienne Miret wrote:
> <http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/etienne.miret/2008/03/28/negotiate-referer.diff>
> It makes use of the already available "accept", "accept-language" and
> "accept-charset" parameters and populate them with the values provided
> by the client *in case of a referer request*. It will also make sure
> those values are kept across revalidation. This makes URI to be very
> long. Sorry.

I think this would be a welcome patch, as indeed it makes sense to
forward accept and accept-language in case of referer validation (not
sure, however about accept-encoding). The small issue about this patch
is that it seems to also include additions to the UI, additional options
that not only would clutter the interface, they also seem to duplicate
existing options (e.g why http_accept and accept?)

Do you think you could make a reduced patch that would only set accept
and accept-language in the case of referer validation?

> The second patch is:
> <http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/etienne.miret/2008/03/28/negotiate-all.diff>
> This one brings full content-negotiation support to the validator,
> providing options for setting the Accept, Accept-Language and
> Accept-Charset headers on the home page (and on validation results if
> verbose output is selected). However, it wont send any Accept* headers
> by default.

Ditto above, I don't know if additional UI options for such a rare case
is a good idea, and I think that the validator already has the feature
with the accept and accept-language parameters:
http://validator.w3.org/docs/users.html#Output

Thank you
--
olivier