Re: Atom feed validation question.

Hi Bill,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008, Bill Brown wrote:
> I'm struggling with a validation issue using the w3 validator to check
> documents created by my atom 1.0 feed  generator library

Credit where credit is due, W3C is just hosting a free instance of the
excellent feedvalidator open source software.

> >From the atom spec
> http://atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/atom-format-spec.php
>
> Does this mean that any element which can contain an atomCommonAttribute
> (Logo for example)  validate with an arbitrary attribute?

I'm not sure if I understand the spec exactly, but it seems to allow for
extensions, and will just ignore any attribute not in a known/local
namespace.

> <logo href="http://www.earthbeats.net/drops.xml"
> rel="self">http://www.earthbeats.net/images/catalogue.gif</logo>
>
> It contains the href and rel attributes which I think fall into the
> undefinedAttribute category, but the feed does not validate.

I see in the spec that these two attributes are defined for the
atom:link element, so I supposed they don't really fit into the
"undefined" attribute category?

I hope this helps, if not, I suspect you'll find more experts over on
the actual feedvalidator list:
http://groups.google.com/group/feedvalidator-users

--
olivier