Re: Validation of Russian pages

At 07.29 +0300 07-10-26, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>Jacob Palme wrote:
>
>> The most common character set for Russian web pages is
>> "windows-1521" and not "ISO-8859-5".
>
>As you mention in another message, you meant windows-1251. I'm not sure
>whether it's the most common encoding for Russian pages (KOI8-R is quite
>common too), but that's not important right now.
>
>> I would like the
>> validator to be able to handle this character set.
>
>As far as I can see, the W3C validator handles it just fine. It's also
>listed in the list of encodings that you see if you use the extended user
>interface that you get by clicking on "More Options" or visiting directly
>the page
>http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri+with_options
>The drop-down menu "Character Encoding" has windows-1250 through
>windows-1256 at its end. (I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the
>ordering of encodings there. Maybe the alphabetic order would be better?)
>
>Which kind of problem did you encounter when trying to validate a
>windows-1251 encoded page?
>
>(I can see a minor problem, but it's really just a detail in the report: I
>intentionally used a page containing octets that are not defined in
>windows-1251. The validation report ends with the message
>The error was: cp1251 "\x98" does not map to Unicode
>which refers to windows-1251 by a name other than the one used otherwise by
>the validator. Actually, cp1251 isn't even registered at IANA as an alias,
>though it is commonly used.)
>
>Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
>http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

I probably wrote 1521 instead of 1251 when I tested
and got a message that this character set is not
supported by the validator. Sorry for wrongly
complaining that this charset is not supported by the
validator!
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/