Re: Some suggestions for the SOAP api

Karim A. wrote:

> Example:
>       You have used the element named above in your document, but the
>       document type you are using does not define an element of that name.
>       This error is often caused by:
>     <ul>
>       <li>incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that
>       uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get
>       the "&lt;frameset&gt;" element),</li>
>       <li>by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "&lt;spacer&gt;"
>       or "&lt;marquee&gt;" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve
>       the desired effect instead).</li>
>       <li>by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and
> elements
>       must be all lower-case).</li>
>     </ul>
>
> Inside this <div class="ve mid-76"> which is extracted from the
> m:explanation of a soap response, we have <p> and <ul>
> and they both have a different "meaning", one is a paragraph
> the other is an ordered list.

Ahh, I hadn't found an error message with a bulleted list (guess I need
pages with more errors like yours ;-) ).

Seeing that, I agree -- nix the plain text.

And while we're on the New, Improved SOAP 1.3 interface, could we also look
into:

1.)  Adding the general warning text.  For instance:

    <m:warnings>
        <m:warningcount>2</m:warningcount>
        <m:warninginfo>
            <![CDATA[
                 The following missing or conflicting information caused the
validator to perform guesswork prior to validation. If the guess or fallback
is incorrect, it may make validation results entirely incoherent. It is
<em>highly recommended</em> to check these potential issues, and, if
necessary, fix them and re-validate the document.
            ]]>
        </m:warninginfo>
        <m:warninglist>

In fact, I'd like any content like this one -- they are tied to the
operation of the validator and make the rest of the output more
useable/understandable.

2.)  In a recent test, I had a document with 2 errors in the SOAP output
(catching that number Kamir :-P). But in the HTML output there were 2 Errors
AND an Info message all together in the Errors section of the output.

I'm not sure how often these Info messages appear nor how useful they are.
But, if the Validator thinks they're helpful in one interface, why not the
SOAP interface too?

-Chris