Re: Some suggestions for the SOAP api

Hi Chris,

On Oct 9, 2007, at 07:25 , Chris Parrish wrote:
> This is tough - how do I use the style applied to: <div class="ve
> mid-64"> unless I build my own local stylesheet (or inline, etc)?

As documented, the <m:explanation> is the same block of HTML used in
the validator's main output. Unfortunately, that's the way the error
message explanations are stored, so unless someone comes in and
wishes to clean that up, it may stay that way a while. Your
suggestions are quite good, though, but it would take time to:
* take the current error explanations file
* massage that into something more structure
* change the templates of the validator to take that structured data
and make that HTML/API XML at runtime

If anyone's interested, that would speed things up. If not, let's put
the suggestion in bugzilla and see when one of the developers may
have time for it.

> Sure I can strip tags but then the whole "Suggest improvements on
> this error message" bit gets reduced to a '?'

Sounds odd. Are you sure you treat the incoming data as utf-8?

> The point of SOAP is to get the data without the formatting --
> otherwise, why not skip SOAP altogether and just have us parse the
> HTML version to get all our info?

Good point, but the soap output gives you much more info, and well
organized. For instance, since you have <m:messageid> you could
download the error message explanations from the code base of the
validator and map that to whatever format you want to use. Would that
help?

--
olivier