Re: Meta Character Encoding Not Detected

Dear "Email Reply"

On 21 nov. 07, at 04:35, Email Reply wrote:

> If I validate by Direct Input and paste the following code into the
> validator:
>
> If I set encoding to "detect automatically" then the validator
> selects utf-8 as the encoding despite the fact that I have set a
> meta tag declaring it as iso-8859-1.

This is specific to "direct input". When the validator fetches a
document online or gets it sent by file upload, there is a question of
what the file, or HTTP resource, is encoded in. In direct input
however, what gets sent to the validator is not a file, but a string
of characters encoded in the same encoding as the validator's
interface, that is, utf-8.

Even if the document you will eventually publish is not utf-8, the act
of copy-pasting it to the text area in the validator will make it utf-8.

As a result, the meta charset information in the markup is ignored.

> If I set the encoding to iso-8859-1, then the validator issues a
> warning that I'm overriding the detected character encoding of utf-8.

I am puzzled by this. For the reasons explained above, the "direct
input" interface does not have any character encoding override
mechanism. Where did you see that? What validator are you using?

--
olivier