Re: charset=us-ascii mandatory?

Hi Andreas,

On May 7, 2007, at 12:44 , Andreas Prilop wrote:
> Is it necessary to specify the parameter "charset=us-ascii"
> when a document contains only ASCII characters?

Declaring a charset is not necessary, but without one, the validator
will fall back to utf-8. (which includes us-ascii).

> Currently, the validator refuses to validate such documents
> and complains "no character encoding found".

Well, if no character encoding is found, then a warning is in order,
but the validator should not refuse to validate unless the fallback
charset (utf-8) does not work.

Note that I have been fixing a number of issues with encoding,
transcoding and charset override in the past few weeks, so if the
validator 0.8.0 beta1 appears broken in this regard, you could check
also the developer's instance [1] or wait until next week for the
0.8.0 beta 2.

[1] http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/

> Isn't "us-ascii" the default value for "charset"?

utf-8 is.

--
olivier