Re: validator's parse mode algorithm

olivier Thereaux wrote:

> look for <MIME> in
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/validator/htdocs/config/validator.conf

Is that open for proposals to add types ?
If yes, how about adding application/vnd.google-earth.kml+xml ?
And anything else in the IANA registry ending with +xml as a best guess.

> This gives us the parse mode based on content type, which is either
> "XML" (for XML media types) or "TBD" (for text/html, because html and
> xhtml - two different parsing modes - can both be served with this
> media type.

For text/sgml you might need "SGML", or it's another case of "TBD".

> fetch its doctype (if any...) and compares it to a second table (see
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/validator/htdocs/config/types.conf )

RFC 2070 is still missing, all I got is a pending IANA ticket so far:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML i18n//EN" "html2070.dtd">

> - if the parse mode defined with the mime type is unambiguous, we use
>   that
> - else, if the parse mode defined with the doctype is know, we use that
> - else, we fall back to SGML/HTML mode

I hope that "my" Web servers don't offer an opinion for *.kml files,
I use it as plain text "KEDIT Macro Library", not for google earth :-)

This logic needs a way to overrule it for authors wishing to validate
a document no matter what the Web server (of a third party) "thinks".

BTW, what's text/vnd.wap.wml in the IANA registry, is it relevant for
the validator ?

Frank