Re: validator issue - i need more information

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Info - Traffic Schools wrote:

> http://www.cmsbuffet.com/cms-about-us.php
>
> I can see the page in a browser but on your web site validator I get 404

I get "Byte-Order Mark found in UTF-8 File" followed by
"This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Strict!"

You have probably changed something. Or maybe you meant some other page.
If I try e.g.
http://www.cmsbuffet.com/cms-about-us.phpfoobar
I get roughly the same browser, but that's an illusion. What the server
sends is the 404 error code and some data, which _shall_ be interpreted as
an explanation of the error condition, _not_ as resource content
corresponding to the URL. A validator (as well as a search engine) acts in
a protocol-correct manner, treating the error code as primary information.

So your error handling is in error and should be fixed. The error document
should explain the error condition and give the user suggestions on
finding what he might be looking for, like a link the main page, site
map, or search page.

To validate the error message page, simply submit its own URL to the
validator. The error message is normally accessible by a URL of its own,
as a normal page.