Re: DITA validation

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:07:10 -0800
"Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy@omsys.com> wrote:

> <!DOCTYPE reference PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Reference//EN"
>  "reference.dtd">

Where is the validator supposed to find "reference.dtd" ?

> <!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Topic//EN" "topic.dtd">

Or "topic.dtd"?

> The nessage is:
>
>   Sorry! This document can not be checked.
>   Fatal Error: cannot find "reference.dtd"; tried
>
>   I could not parse this document, because it makes reference to
>   a system-specific file instead of using a well-known public
>   identifier to specify the type of markup being used.

What's not clear about that?  The fact you have a "reference.dtd"
in the appropriate directory on your machine doesn't mean the
validator has one in the same place!

> The docs were uploaded as type text/xml from Opera 9.01.
> Any suggestions?

There are lots of XML validation tools (far more than for HTML),
and you probably have one already installed yourself (for example,
if you have Xerces or xmllint).  They'll also need to resolve
your relative URLs like "reference.dtd".

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/