Re: Help Wanted - better wording for a new warning message (mime type/doctype clash)

On 3/2/07, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:

> I've implemented today a little routine checking that a document is
> served in a media type relevant to the document type detected. I
> would appreciate your help in making the error message a little less
> awkward than it is now.
>
> The message currently goes:
> [[
>      * Incorrect Media Type for the Document Type used

Hi Olivier,
The word "contradict" might be stronger, e.g. "The doctype contradicts
the media type". "Conflicts with" is another possibility.

>        The document is being served as media type application/xhtml
> +xml, which is not a registered media type for the document type HTML
> 2.0.

This looks good to me except for a minor grammatical nit -- I think
the comma should not be there.

>        You should be using a media type such as text/html.

I think "...such as..." is misleading here. Correct me if I'm wrong,
but isn't 'text/html' the *only* choice compatible with an HTML
doctype?

You might also want to point people to this table so that they know
what their options are:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#summary

Cheers

--