Re: 403 Access Forbidden

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007, Arthur Wilson wrote:
> > I am not sure how these two relate. Are you trying to block
> > all IPs except those of the validator? These tend to change
> > when we have new/ changed servers, in any case...
>
> We have a test web site www.test.is.ed.ac.uk which can only be accessed from
> within the .ed.ac.uk domain. When we try to validate pages on this site at
> validator.w3.org, we get the "403 Access Forbidden" message.
>
> My web site admin person says "I have added an IP that resolve to the
> validator address to the list of allowed addresses - if the validator has
> multiple addresses though, we will need to add these as well."
>
> So I think I need the IP addresses of the "validator.w3.org" machine(s).

It does, thank you for the details. As I said earlier, the IPs for the
validator are subject to change, so ideally your system would allow
access from any host that resolves to validator.w3.org. Or better even,
if you wish to keep your test data under locks, would be to actually
install the validator on a server in your local network.

That said, the current lineup of IPs for validator.w3.org are:

128.30.52.49
128.30.52.50
128.30.52.13
133.27.228.132

you may also want to throw in the IP for the server that hosts the CSS
validator...
128.30.52.34

HTH,
--