Re: Validator doesn't send HTTP_ACCEPT headers, "Conflict between Mime Type and Document Type" warning is incorrect.

Am 31.07.2007 um 10:23 schrieb Gez Lemon:

> Hi Olivier,
>
> On 31/07/07, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> Trying to work around browser bugs is very understandable, but an
>> improvement to this technique would be to use application/xhtml+xml
>> as the *default*, as it should be for XHTML 1.1. Not the other way
>> around. Hence:
>>
>> * if accept headers present, and application/xhtml+xml not accepted,
>> send text/html
>> * else, send application/xhtml+xml
>>
>> I think this would be a much more sane behavior. Gez? What do you
>> think?
>
> Yes - as XHTML 1.1 should not be delivered with a MIME type of
> text/html, the approach outlined here is far more sensible.

In theorie -- yes. Please provide an example, how you can *reliable*
distinguish, if a browser does *not* accept "application/xhtml+xml"
to serve him "text/html" instead?
Maybe I missed something, but I only know of reliable mechanisms to
check, if a browser *does* accept "application/xhtml+xml". How do you
check this and, much more important, if it *doesn't* support that
Mimetype, *without* relying on the client's Accept header?
Providing a solution would be very helpful, and I would be *very*
lucky...

Sierk
--
Sierk Bornemann