Re: Charset+ISO-8859-1: Problem found

How odd this all seems to me.  I myself am somewhat of a "fake", self-taught (which is not good) and managing to get my genealogy pages up and readable.  For several years, I've been using Nvu (Foxfire) as my "setup"  html editor (it chooses the charset, etc.),  writing my own "body"  and checking the whole thing against tidy HTML code (via Notetab Lt) and coming up with pages that verify by W3C.  I painstakingly made corrections W3C finds, and have  been able to get my pages to verify.   

It was when I did a standard verification check after adding new material, that I learned I had trouble and contacted this message board.   

Excellent genealogist,  but ignorant html-er.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Andreas Prilop 
  Cc: jmk 
  Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 8:08 AM
  Subject: Re: Charset+ISO-8859-1: Problem found

  On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, jmk wrote:

  > <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="content-type">

  ... is only a paper moon.

  <meta http-equiv> is *always* a fake - for content-type,
  for content-language, for everything.

  Especially you cannot set the content-type with such a fake:

  You need to specify the real HTTP header. For the charset, read

  In memoriam Alan J. Flavell

Received on Monday, 23 July 2007 18:55:51 UTC