Re: Validating one of my web pages

Nick Kew wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:54:35 +0200 Otto Wyss <otto.wyss@orpatec.ch>
> wrote:
>
>> I've several times tried to located the bug by the validator when
>> validating "http://www.orpatec.ch/gallery.php" yet I think my page
>> is okay. Is there a problem with the validator?
>
> So what's not clear in the FAQ entry referenced?

First, the FAQ doesn't give any hint about the error, instead it
recommends reading the 'Common HTML Validation Problems document'. This
can easily be interpreted as the validator isn't able to handle this
problem.

Second, within the 'Common HTML Validation Problems document', the
sentence 'Authors should avoid using strings such as "</P>"' is
completely useless. Either it's forbidden to use such code (which isn't)
or the validator has to handle it correctly.

> And why are you generating HTML designed around the weaknesses of
> mid-1990s browsers and obsolete since 1998?

Sorry the mentioned code is completely valid as far as I know and any
browser these days can hanlde it correctly, only the validator can't. So
you probably should have written mid-1990 validators.

O. Wyss