Re: HTML Validator freezes - then gets internal server error

Hello Austin,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

On Aug 16, 2007, at 01:05 , Austin Harvey ((IES Digital)) wrote:
> When trying to validate this site http://www.stand-store.co.uk
> The validator pauses for an age, and then comes up with internal
> server error . . .

I tracked this down to two separate bugs. One is a bug in the Tidy
library, which is integrated in the validator to provide automatic
fixing of markup for users who wish to be helped that way. Tidy is
the component that happens to hang forever on some pages. Why some
pages and not others, I can not yet tell, but I will be reporting the
bug to the tidy development team. Is it ok if we copy the page as it
is now, and use it as a test case?

The other bug was that the validator was running tidy systematically
on every content, even when the option had not been requested. This
bug is now fixed in the development version of the validator, and
will be in the next maintenance release.

Fixing the latter bug will not only bypass the problem that was
making the validator hang on your web page, it will also improve the
speed of the validator a lot, so, many thanks for your report!

regards,
--
olivier