Re: XHTML 1.1 as text/html

Le 27 avr. 2007 à 01:21, Jon Ribbens a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 04:59:10PM +0100, David Dorward wrote:
>> */* means "everything", and "application/xhtml+xml" is a subset of
>> "everything".
> If you're being picky along those lines, not sending an Accept
> header at all also means "accept everything".

hmmm. ok let's see the practical side.

1. The validator indeed accepts everything and judge by what is sent
to it

2. So far sending XHTML 1.1 as application/xhtml+xml is wrong

3. Accept Header application/xhtml+xml is at work for the validator.
    (Note btw, that once the validator sends accept header
application, the
     configuration mistake of Sierk would not be detected, which is
bad too)

4. When a user agent says "accept everything", it does NOT mean
"render everything".
    (For example, one thing I was doing in the past with user agent
which didn't
     support application/xhtml+xml is to put the handler to open the
document with
     Mozilla. We do the same thing for example with RSS feed, open
with my RSS
     feed reader.)

5. User agent sniffing is not very practical and leads to bad choices.

The validator did the right thing in this case and at the time being:
     an XHTML 1.1 document is sent with text/html.  Wrong.

I wonder if Sierk is using ruby markup in his pages. If not, your
document could be XHTML 1.0.

Best Regards

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***