Re: Validating Flash files

On Sep 20, 2006, at 04:01, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 21:03 , Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>> Don't use the proprietary <embed> tag. There's an excellent
>>> article at "A List Apart" with the solution you need: http://
>>> www.alistapart.com/articles/byebyeembed
>>
>> Which is more important: spec-wise purity or real-world
>> accessibility?
>> http://weblogs.macromedia.com/accessibility/archives/2005/08/
>> in_search_of_a.cfm
>
> These two are not mutually exclusive, are they?

According to the data presented in the cited document, they seem to be.

> I would argue that compliance to specs is, to a large extent, a
> good path toward real-world accessibility.

A "good path towards" does not help much those who need real-world
accessibility today.

> From the document you quote above, I don't read "spec-compliant
> methods (such as satay) are bad", I read that there are several
> spec-compliant solutions which work with almost all the user agents.

However, there's a non-spec-compliant solution that has an even
broader reach and that causes no real harm compared to the spec-
compliant solutions.

> I hope your conclusion, as is mine, is not that the specs are
> broken as soon as one implementation gets it wrong, but rather that
> the situation is pretty good when only one implementation needs
> fixing for a solution based on a standard to work across all user
> agents.

I don't think a spec is broken as soon as one implementation gets it
wrong. I do, however, think that the spec is broken if it reinvents
the wheel to deny actual existing practice and the new wheel doesn't
get full support in 8 years.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi