Re: asp.net panel browser inconsistencies

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:40:17AM -0400, CPRG Limited wrote:
> Here is the kicker.  When using the W3C Validation engine to validate
> rendered content from your production server and when using a Strict DTD,
> the page will NOT validate. This does not mean the actual rendered page code
> is not valid.  It simply means that the page code rendered by the W3C
> Validation engine is not valid. This happens because the W3C Validation
> engine does not read the web config file before parsing the content.

Err. Sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me.

The user agent makes an HTTP request to the server. The server runs
some code in an ASP.NET environment and returns an HTTP response. This
is then validated, the response might be valid, or it might not be
valid.

Where does a "web config file" come into it?

How does the validator differ from Firefox, Internet Explorer or
another browser?

> One final point, how to determine that code within a testing environment is
> meeting specification before it goes to the production server?  Use an
> external application for checking compliance .. Something inexpensive is the
> CSE HTML Validator.

The W3C Markup Validator is probably a better bet, since it is (a)
cheaper and (b) a validator (which, despite its name, the CSE HTML
Validator, isn't).

> When it comes to ASP.NET code, validation should always
> be done through the testing server rather than through the source code,

Well yes. You validate HTML, not programe code that generates HTML.