Next Validator Release Roadmap (Was: Re: please add SVG as option for enforcing DOCTYPE)

Hi Ruud,

On Oct 5, 2006, at 04:02 , Ruud Steltenpool (svg.startpagina.nl) wrote:
> Re: please add SVG as option for enforcing DOCTYPE
> Olivier, when will this happen?
> impatient me

I understand your impatience. W3C is looking at bringing more
resources to work on our public validation/quality tools, but for now
it's me alone, and I will be focusing on the CSS validator, XHTML
AppC checker and Unicorn project for a few more weeks.

What needs to happen for a release of the 0.7.3 markup Validator:

1) fix all the outstanding bugs, or postpone addressing them.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?
product=Validator&target_milestone=0.7.3

The main issue is that of changing the validator to trigger its XML
mode based primarily on mime type rather than solely on pre-parsing
and detection of a doctype. It also involves some changes in the
"direct input" interface, where no mime type is present.

2) Prepare a list of all changes between 0.7.2 and 0.7.3. Test for
regression bugs.

The list placeholder is at
http://esw.w3.org/topic/MarkupValidator/ChangeLog

3)  build a changelog, announces, etc. Package the release.

1) means working on open source code, 2) is on a wiki and anyone can
help build the changelog.
Everyone, impatient or just willing to help, is welcome to dive in -
I'll be more than happy to assist you.

--
olivier