Re: "Unknown Parse Mode!" when validating with DOCTYPE chosen to force STRICT mode in Mozilla

On Jul 13, 2006, at 16:21, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

>> You do realize that it is pretty hard to accidentally rely on the
>> difference between the Standards Mode and the Almost Standards
>> Mode  unless your layouts involve placing sliced images in layout
>> tables?
>
> Not sure how to interpret this last, but I don't want to "rely on
> the difference", but rather "rely on full standards compliance".

You can't just "rely" on the Standards Mode taking care of what you
are doing. The Standards Mode is not an enforcement mode. If you are
doing the right thing with CSS, the Standards Mode will render it
correctly (subject to bugs). However, if the Standards Mode is
rendering something the way you want, you can't know for sure that
you aren't relying on non-standard or buggy behavior that will get
fixed.

As for the Almost Standards Mode vs. the Standards Mode, the
difference is that in the Almost Standards Mode vertical alignment of
images works differently, which matters if you have sliced images in
table cells.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi