Re: Conflicting validation results

On Feb 23, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Thus, read the validator messages. The first message, for example,
> is quite understandable: "document type does not allow element
> 'BODY' here", because you have declared a Frameset DTD, where a
> HEAD element must not be followed by a BODY element but by a
> FRAMESET element.

On staring at the DTD more closely, it looks like libxml's DTD code
does not correctly ignore redefinition of entities.  I'll file a bug
against libxml.

> In practice, it is best to consult first a suitable tutorial,
> reference, or specification on HTML in order to write a
> syntactically correct Frameset document, if that's what you want.
> Validators are best used to track down unintentional small syntax
> errors, rather than working with documents where the overall
> structure is syntactically wrong.

The problem is that it appears to be impossible, even in "loose", to
legally use a frameset and the NOSCRIPT tag in the same document,
which seriously limits the ability to create client-side dynamic
content that involves frames....  Looks like I'll just have to wait
for a fixed version of the spec before attempting compliance....

Thanks,
David