Re: Parsing HREFs?

Liam Quinn wrote:
> I have updated the text at
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#amp to also discuss
> cases that are problems for modern browsers:
>
>    <!-- This is invalid! --> <a
>    href="foo.cgi?chapter=1&section=2&copy=3&lang=en">...</a>
>
>    ... Since &lang; is the HTML entity for the
>    left-pointing angle bracket, some browsers also convert &lang=en to
>    </=en ...

Although it technically should do that, I couldn't find any browser that
actually does.  My tests [1] show that within href attributes generally
only entity references from the ISO-8859-1 category, &quot, &amp, &lt
and &gt from the Markup Significant category, and &apos (where
supported) are recognised without the REFC.

[1] http://lachy.id.au/dev/markup/tests/html401/charref/syntax

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/