Re: this needs to be changed in the validator

David Dorward then wrote:
> Possibly it might be worth the validator
> emitting a warning, or possibly this is a job for Unicorn rather then
> the validator.

I'd have to agree with adding a warning, I've seen a lot of developers
see the WAI guideline about using the latest available spec, and put
an XHTML 1.1 doctype at the top. Especially for .Net or similar
developments, where you just select from a doctype drop-down, and the
validator doesn't show any sign of a problem.

Perhaps something similar to the mis-matched encoding warning? That
gave me pause for thought when I realised my server didn't agree with
my encoding!

Cheers,

-Alastair