Re: Different results between Upload and Direct input

Dear Frank,

On Dec 8, 2006, at 04:16 , Frank Klaver wrote:

> When using Direct Input for validation I get a This Page Is Valid
> HTML 4.01 Transitional!
> With the same document using validate by upload it correctly gives
> me Tentatively and  No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to
> UTF-8.

Explanation: the validator (and indeed anything that will read your
document, e.g a browser or a search engine) will need to know what
encoding it is in, in order to read it. In the case of "direct input"
the validator knows that you have pasted the text of your markup in
an utf-8 form, so the content should be in utf-8.

Using file upload however, if there is no declaration of encoding in
the document itself, the validator can only "fall back" to a default
encoding and try reading your document with it. In your case, the
result was positive.

Further reading:
http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset

Solution: your document is not broken, but you could add this in the
<head> of your document to make sure your document always declare its
encoding, offline or online:

regards,
--
olivier