Re: Validator complains about <nobr>

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> People make the crucial decision when they decide to use some
> element or attribute.  Validation will merely help them check
> whether they have used it according to some syntax rules.
> (Personally, I often mistype </nobr> as </nibr> or something,
> or even as <nobr>. I surely want to catch such errors.)

Agree, a nice feature of the W3C validator is that it validates
almost anything with a DTD.  The last time I used it was for an
UTF-8 definition with CharMapML.

Sure like hell it told me that there's no default for bMin and
bMax, because the DTD says "required".

Too bad that you can't use it for your "HTML + nobr" case.  IMO
that limitation should be softened.

> The purpose of validation should be to find syntax errors,
> nothing more, nothing less.

ACK.  With an error message as good as possible assuming XHTML
or HTML input - when I use it for another *ML with a DTD it's
clear that I've to interpret the error messages for my context.

> Using CSS vs. nonstandard markup is a design issue.

On your page about this issue you also discuss u+2011 "nbhy":
It depends on the audience and the host language, CSS is not
available everywhere, like <nobr> and u+2011, there's no easy
way to get it right for everybody.

> it then becomes a validation issue

Frank (who never used <nobr> for his own personal reasons)