Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, "Günter K. F. Schwichtenberg" wrote:

> There seems to be a problem with consistency between XHTML1.1 and usage of
> maps:
> -	XHTML1.1 does not allow to use the attribute "name";

Right, it's not allowed in <map> in XHTML 1.1.

> -	map needs this attribute for the connection between the map and the
> img it belongs to.

In terms of what browsers do, yes. In the XHTML 1.1 approach, the id
attribute (which is obligatory for <map> in XHTML 1.1) is supposed
be used for establishing the connection. You are also supposed to use
a usemap attribute with an identifier value (usemap="foo", not
usemap="#foo"), which isn't supported by browsers.

> Have you a solution for this problem?

Stop using XHTML 1.1 and move to XHTML 1.0 or, better still, HTML 4.01.

Remember that XHTML 1.1 is an exercise in futility. It's just a
theoretical construction that tries to XMLify HTML according to the
"modular approach", as opposite to the monolithic approach of XHTML 4.01
(and, rather randomly, makes some undocumented or poorly documented
changes here and there and throws in the Ruby module). It's a dead end,
and people using it have just been misled by the idea of "using the latest
recommendation".

> Or am I to live with this error message (108) when checking the page?

Well, why not? Your document would be invalid, but how important would it
be to use valid XHTML 1.1 on web pages when browsers don't support XHTML
1.1 anyway? If you use general XML tools for processing your documents
(the only rational reason for using XHTML these days), then you might run
into problems _if_ those tools use validating parsers _and_ do not
tolerate validation errors.