Re: Bug in the HTML Validator

David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:
> > Either that, or one of the cases where "valid" doesn't mean what
> > people expect it to - i.e. HTML that conforms to the HTML specification.
>
> No.
>
>   By default, SGML requires that all attribute values be delimited
>   using either double quotation marks (ASCII decimal 34) or single
>   quotation marks (ASCII decimal 39). Single quote marks can be
>   included within the attribute value when the value is delimited by
>   double quote marks, and vice versa.

Sorry, I think you missed my point. An excerpt such as:

  <input type="text" name="foo" size="12'">

is "valid" according to the DTD (and hence the Validator), but it is
not correct HTML. HTML Tidy will correctly identify this as a problem.
Both the W3C Validator and HTML Tidy are behaving correctly as
designed, but you can see why people might get confused.