Re: Error Message Feedback

Joe Roberts wrote:
> I am curious to know why I get a relatively large number of errors
> with your program when Dreamweaver's "Clean up HTML" command
> indicates no errors!!

That is indeed very odd, but regardless of what Dreamweaver tells you,
you should trust what this validator tells you.  My experience with
Dreamweaver is that it's validator will report a lot of bogus errors
rather than fail to report actual errors and thus any markup that
Dreamweaver claims to be valid will actually be valid.

However, Dreamweaver's validator is very poor and it may be that it is
configured to validate XHTML 1.0 Strict, for example, although your
documents may actually claim to be HTML 4.01, or something else that
Dreamweaver thinks is valid according to its settings.

I've had acceptable results with the following settings, as the defaults
weren't very good in older versions, though they seem to have improved
in Dreamweaver 8.

If you're running Windows, choose Edit > Preferences...
If your're on a Mac, choose Dreamweaver > Preferences...

In the validator options, check HTML 4.0 or XHTML 1.0 Strict and uncheck
everything else.  Just make sure this matches the actual DOCTYPE you've
included in your documents.
Then click the Options button
* uncheck the option to "Check for: Quotes in text".
* Ensure everything else is checked.

Then run the validator and see if it improves the accuracy of the results.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/