Re: Validation problem

leif.vogt@npc.nato.int wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madame,
>

> I just tried to validate http://www.npc.nato.int/htm/home.htm
> and I got an error message as follows:
>
> 1. Error Line 79 column 85: there is no attribute "autocomplete".
>
> ....//www.google.com/u/NPC" autocomplete="Off">

The autocomplete attribute is non-standard proprietary extension added
by Microsoft to allow authors to take user-hostile actions to disable
implementation specific features.  Authors have no right to disable the
such features on behalf of the user and the attribute should never be
used, even though it is unfortunately widely supported by browsers.

> The attribute and the setting (autocomplete="Off") is however not in my
> source file.

It's appearing the page on line 79, in the markup as received by
browsers, including the validator.

<form  id="form" method="get" action="http://www.google.com/u/NPC"
autocomplete="Off">

If you did not add it yourself, it is being added by some software that
shouldn't be adding it.

>  Is this a bug?

Not a validator bug.

--