Re: Error Message Feedback: "valid 1.1"

On May 30, 2005, at 16:08, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Saturday, May 28, 2005, 1:38:24 PM, Henri wrote:
>
> HS> On May 27, 2005, at 19:31, Chris Lilley wrote:
>
>>> Okay. I suggest that it should use a lookup table of namespaces (to
>>> detect that its SVG) and then, having determined that it is SVG, it
>>> could usefully get more info from baseProfile (Tiny, Basic or Full)
>>> and
>>> version (1.0, 1.1, 1.2).
>
> HS> What if the DTD does not match?
>
> HS> <!DOCTYPE svg "BogoDTD" "http://example.com/bogo.dtd">
> HS> <svg version     = "1.1"
> HS>         baseProfile = "tiny"
> HS>         xmlns       = "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
> HS>   <bogo/>
> HS> </svg>
>
> Well then it wouldn't be valid :) as the DTD validator would report.

How do you know bogo.dtd does not make that valid?

> HS> The basic problem is of course that DTD validation does not answer
> the
> HS> question "Does document D conform to grammar G?" but answers the
> HS> question "Does document D conform the grammar it happens to
> declare?"
>
> Right. The point is, how do you get the name of that grammar.

By focusing on the first question and asking the user to select the
schema to validate against.

> HS> (RELAX NG validation would answer the first question.)
>
> Yes it would. I would be very interested to see a RelaxNG validator
> option.

http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/?
schema=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FGraphics%2FSVG%2F1.2%2Frng%2FTiny
-1.2%2FTiny-1.2.rng&laxtype=yes

> Note that in RelaxNG (and in W3C XML Schema) the pointer to the
> schema is not contained, necessarily, in the document instance.

I consider that a desirable feature of RELAX NG. I think doctype and
schemaLocation are design bugs.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi