Re: Error Message Feedback: "valid 1.1"

On May 27, 2005, at 19:31, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Okay. I suggest that it should use a lookup table of namespaces (to
> detect that its SVG) and then, having determined that it is SVG, it
> could usefully get more info from baseProfile (Tiny, Basic or Full) and
> version (1.0, 1.1, 1.2).

What if the DTD does not match?

<!DOCTYPE svg "BogoDTD" "http://example.com/bogo.dtd">
<svg version     = "1.1"
        baseProfile = "tiny"
        xmlns       = "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <bogo/>
</svg>

The basic problem is of course that DTD validation does not answer the
question "Does document D conform to grammar G?" but answers the
question "Does document D conform the grammar it happens to declare?"
(RELAX NG validation would answer the first question.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi