Re: CSS Error Message Feedback

Hello,

On May 25, 2005, at 7:59, Paran Subra wrote:
> Sorry because I do not know if you are the CSS expert but if you
> aren't then can you please foward this to the CSS expert.

First, note that you have not sent mail to one person, but to a public
mailing-list. This is, as you were supposing, not the proper list for
feedback on the CSS validation service, www-validator-css (which I
copied in this message, please follow-up there and avoid www-validator
in any reply) is.

Also, please avoid sending messages in HTML on a mailing-list. This is
often considered rude. Surely hotmail has options to send messages as
plain text.

Last, note that the www-validator and www-validator-css mailing-lists
are not supposed to be help forums for HTML and CSS authoring. There
are plenty of forums on the Web dedicated to that.

Anyway, onto your question...

> On my site I use .htc files. They create a certain effect as you can
> see on this page http://www.anime-shrine.mehve.com/ . They can be a
> gradientwipe or a pixelate or something else. I use the pixelate
> feature. But when I try to validate my CSS file it doesn't allow them
> saying that the properties do not exist. This is the code I use.
>
> a {
>  cursor:default;
>  height:1px;
>  behavior:url(http://www.anime-shrine.mehve.com/pixel.htc);
>  filter:progid:dximagetransform.microsoft.pixelate(duration=0.5,
> maxSquare=15, enabled=false);
>  height: 1px;
>  clip: rect(   );
> }

Several of the properties you are using are proprietary (i.e
non-standard). This is why the CSS validator is complaining that these
properties "do not exist". (hint: if a property name or syntax has the
name of a browser vendor in it, chances are it's proprietary... :)

For a list of all properties in CSS2, see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/propidx.html

Also, you are misusing the rect() syntax (hence the "parse error" on
that line).
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visufx.html#value-def-shape has the proper
syntax.

Hope this helps.