Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:41:43 +0100
Katherine - STG <katie@startrek-gamers.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been a member of staff of the site I run for 5 years it started
> out in the HTML 3 variant and is now up to 4.1
>
> Only lately has the lead of the site pushed for the place to become
> W3C compliant due to the amount of browsers being used however we have
> now hit a snag.  The base of the site is old.  Most pages still use
> HTML with only the index using a chunk of PHP.  The errors we got at
> the start was over 300, its now cut down to about 60 but the errors
> that are left when fixed completely mess up the design of the site.
>
> Errors like value of attribute "ALIGN" cannot be "ABSMIDDLE"; must be
> one of "TOP", "MIDDLE", "BOTTOM", "LEFT", "RIGHT" when altered to
> include one of the attributes mentioned end up jumping the tables
> either ontop of each other or completely altering the design to an
> extent that we would need to completely redesign the site just to
> validate it.
>
> Would keeping depreciated tags as old as the one's we have hinder the
> sites appearance in the hear future for newer browsers?  We cant
> completely re design the site to do so would mean updating over 1000
> pages of HTML and as we have a lot of visitors including
> representatives from Viacom/Paramount Pictures visiting it would mean
> a loss of visits and regular visitors to the sites competitors.
>
> If you want to take a look at what I mean visit
> http://www.startrek-gamers.com
>
> Cant the error reports include real alternative fixes in them to make
> the updating more easier for amateur designers like myself?
>
> Thanks for your time
>
> Katherine
> STG

I am not a regular replier on this site, but i suggest that eventually
you will have to replace your table based site with CSS. Meanwhile arm
yourself with the knowledge. One recommendation would be:
http://www.sitepoint.com/books/css1/
Download and print out the free chapters. Read them and see if it
convinces you to look further.

BTW i have no affiliation to W3C or Sitepoint and have no real love for
the validator. I do own the book though and am on the list.

Me returns to lurking.

 --
Michael