Re: Symantecs ad remover removes valid-xhtml image

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:21:41 +0200 (EET), Jukka K. Korpela
<jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, olivier Thereaux wrote:
>
> > The "valid" icons aren't ads, so if this tool removes them as such,
> > it's broken, and unfortunately there's little we can do about it.
>
>[ ...]
>
> The heuristics can be fairly simplistic, so that they perhaps inspect only
> the width and height attributes in HTML to determine the image's size,
> not anything set in CSS, still less the actual image's properties.
>
> I haven't studied whether the dimensions are in fact typical in that
> sense. But if they are, then changing the dimensions might affect the
> situation. Maybe even omitting the width and height attributes might
> matter. I'm not saying you should do so, but technically, there are
> things you _could_ do if you wish to increase the visibility of the icons.

Although I've no idea how Symantecs filters work, I do now that this
size of images are blocked by my user stylesheet. Those 88 by 31
images fall in the category of small ads unfortunately. I had the same
problem with some logos a client wanted to include.

A simple workaround for those problems would be to change the image
size slightly (89 by 31 px would escape out of most filters).

Philippe

--
p._/_

http://emps.l-c-n.com