Re: Validator

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Xuan Yuan wrote:

> I got 4 problems with validating HTML.
> 1. The W3C Validator says "document type does not allow element "META"
> here".The META elements are in the head element though.
> 2."document type does not allow element "STYLE" here" appears for my style
> element(it's in the head too)
> 3."end tag for element "HEAD" which is not open" appears on my head element.
> There are no other </head>'s(?).
> 4. "document type does not allow element "BODY" here"
> appears for no reason(!!!!!!!!!!!??????????).
>

> By the way, this document is HTML 4.01 Strict and the code is:

> <head>
> <title>The CVGA MUD!</title>
> <noscript><p>Your browser doesn't support javascript!Please upgrade your
> browser!</noscript>

The "noscript" element is not allowed in the "head", only in the "body".
Since the </head> end tag and the <body> start tag are optional in HTML,
the <noscript> tag implies the end of the "head" and the start of the
"body", causing your subsequent "meta" elements to be in the "body".

The best solution would be to remove the "noscript" element.  The
paragraph within it is misleading since the user's browser may very well
support JavaScript, but the user may have disabled JavaScript support.

If your site depends on JavaScript, you should try to fix that problem.
Search engine robots do not interpret JavaScript.  Also, many mobile Web
browsers don't support JavaScript, or they perform noticeably faster when
it is disabled.  Upgrading the browser on a mobile device is not always
possible.

--
Liam Quinn