Re: Envelop icon size (Was: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.7.0 beta 1))

On Jul 15, 2005, at 1:52, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>> The little envelope icon (which only manifested
>> itself when I composed this message) is so small
>> on the original screen that any chance of feedback
>> arriving via that route must be /vanishingly/ small ...
>
> That's intentional...

I agree it *was* intentional... When the "error message feedback"
mailto: link was first added as a way to get users to participate to
the improvement of error message explanations, the signal/noise ratio
on the list plummeted with a flood of empty or awfully worded calls for
help, and making the icon (actually not an icon, but a character)
smaller was a "quick" fix to limit the damage while we would work on
better feedback channels than a mere "mailto:" link.

We have made this work, and the feedback improvements are actually one
of the major changes in 0.7.0. The "envelope" now links to e.g:
http://validator.w3.org:8001/feedback.html?uri=data%3Atext%2Fhtml%2C;
errmsg_id=47#errormsg
with pre-filled search queries, instructions etc. It won't miraculously
kill all noisy feedback, but as a filtering mechanism, it's hopefully
much better. I suggest making the "envelope" normal sized again.

Any thought?
--
olivier