Re: Microformats?

Le 05-07-10 à 21:49, Mark Nottingham a écrit :
> I had a conversation with Tantek Celik the other day, and he
> corrected my misconceptions WRT microformats (at least as he
> preaches them ;). AFAICT, they only use class and id attributes,
> along with HTML profiles, to add semantics to documents, and thus
> don't break validity.

yes it's what I thought.

> What the validator *could* do, however, is support validation of
> HTML profiles; e.g., by validating profiles described in XMDP;
>   http://gmpg.org/xmdp/

That would mean going down the road of Conformance checker for the
validator and it's not an easy task at all. Right now the validator
checks only the validity of the documents and not the conformance. My
usual favorite example about that is style information.

******************
<HTML>
    <HEAD>
       <TITLE>A simple HTML document</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
wonderful?</p>
    </BODY>
</HTML>
*******************

This document is
     _ valid
     - not conformant to HTML 4.01

Because we don't know what style sheets language is used for the
document.

Cf: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/styles.html#h-14.2.1
"14.2.1 Setting the default style sheet language"

MUST: « Authors must specify the style sheet language of style
information associated with an HTML document. »
+ « Documents that include elements that set the style attribute but
which don't define a default style sheet language are incorrect. »

How to make it conformant?

* META (SHOULD)
     <META http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
* HTTP Headers

Maybe a better place to check this kind of things would be the
LogValidator developed by Olivier Théreaux.

     http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogValidator/Overview.html.en

Two articles explaining how to use the Log Validator
     http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/09/Step-by-step
     http://www.w3.org/QA/2003/03/web-kit

A Manual
     http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogValidator/Manual.html.en

How to create New Modules
     http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogValidator/Manual-Modules

This last part means you can plug as many modules as you want to the
LogValidator specifically designed for certain tasks.

Many modules could be developed for the benefit of the community.

     - SpellChecker
     - microformats
     - metadata (meta name, link checker)
     - etc.